Millions of people deal with chronic pain and other distress on a daily basis. In essence, pain is a combination of the physical sensations we feel, the emotions we feel, and the meaning the pain has for us.
Acute pain is an important reaction. It alerts us to harm and drives us to move away from danger. But when the brain is chronically activated to experience pain, it can become difficult to calm down and lead to additional emotional, mental and physical suffering. Mindfulness is one way to change our perception of chronic pain.
The Bringing Mindfulness To Your Life Online Course focuses on meditation practices that are designed to help you to cultivate your capacity for mindfulness on the cushion and in everyday life. By the end of the series, you'll be on your way to tapping into your innate resources for reducing pain and building resilience.
The practices offered in this course explore standing meditation, mindfulness movement practices, open awareness, and compassion practices. These meditations will become a gateway to cultivating present moment awareness, acceptance, and patience.
You'll also explore how these practices can impact specific aspects of your life and your relationships to physical discomfort. By the end, you'll have a toolbox of practices and a changed approach to life.
Conceptual understanding of mindfulness and meditation is a place to start. However, it's through the experiential practice that true knowledge is gained.
- Learn the basic concepts of mindfulness & meditation.
- Explore how a more settled mind begins to experience the difference between habitual mental and physical reactions and more wholesome responses and as a result build more supportive habits.
- Integrate those practices into your life.
- Understand, at a deep level, how greater awareness and compassionate presence can change your life.
Each week you'll receive practices that are designed to help you to integrate what you've live sessions into your daily life. By the end of the series, you'll be on your way to creating a sustainable home practice.
What You Receive Each Week
- One guided meditation in audio format
- 2-3 Daily Life Mindfulness Practices
You'll have an opportunity to share and connect during our live sessions. And you'll be able to join in on the online conversation directly within our platform.
The online community is where all of the discussions will happen outside of class. Plus, it's a safe and supportive space to share your insights, ask questions, and connect with others.
Each of the live 60-minute sessions is broken down into three phases.
- A live, in-real-time, guided meditation practice.
- A brief presentation on the relevance of the practice to specific aspects of our life & our relationships to physical discomfort.
- Time for discussion and inquiry.
Jon Aaron trained in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction with the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, which has granted him full certification as an MBSR teacher. He has taught over 65 cycles of the seminal curriculum, as well as numerous courses for alumni of the program. He has also trained to work with people struggling with trauma and is a Somatic Experiencing Practitioner®.